Monday, June 2, 2014

My WILD Onion

Illustration by Anne Bollman, illustrator and
surface pattern designer at Anne Was Here
Perky ponytail of straight, silky hair springing from her scalp like a sandy brown geyser

Long, dark lashes lavish her cheeks

Thicker than the blinkers on a baby doll they open, shut, open, shut
Fluttering daintily like French folding fans over the round, rosy apples, ripe with a smile

Her lips turns redder when she cries, making the perfectly-carved cupid’s bow perched prettily upon her precious pink pout particularly pronounced
She has soft brown eyebrows, arched artfully over a pair of dark, round eyes—the whites crowded out by shining black irises…still deciding upon their exact shade and color

Adorable and expressive, they’re set close and cute like a Pomeranian puppy’s
She pants—it’s always been something she’s done—silly girl—but now she does it in response to the question, “What does the puppy say?”

A whispered, “hehh, hehh instead of “woof, woof”

Not the most common response, but I like it that way

And what does the duck say?
“Kak, kak, kak” 

Sometimes she reminds me of Donald Duck—it must be that raspy, high-pitched voice, garbled by spit and snot and the inability to properly talk
Because she’s only fifteen months old

Sometimes I scold
Like when she throws food off her tray, toys in the toilet, and books off the balcony of our third-floor abode

I could tell from her infancy that this sweetheart had spunk
Head snaking back and forth like an Indian cobra, torso twisting like a sea salt grinder, shoulders shimmying like a pair of maracas, nobody had to teach this child to dance

She’s passionate about eating, shoving fistfuls of blueberries, bacon, and bread into her open-mouthed head
Chomping on orange Ramen noodle packages as if she never got fed

Sitting on cereal boxes swiped from my cabinets
I give her a cracker instead

She accepts the snack graciously
Eyes squinted shut

Chin jutted forward
Beaming brightly through jack-o’-lantern teeth

Four on the top, four on the bottom
All I want to do is press her petite, button nose

And there she goes
Spraying my face with dry, golden crumbs

They get on the carpet
I’m compelled to vacuum, but I’ll just pick them up

Pinch them piece by piece and sprinkle them into the trash like fish food over an aquarium
Rub my hand over the floor ‘til the too-tiny traces scatter like jumping spiders

But not now
Now, my hands hover over a standing, smiling sumo baby, wearing nothing but a diaper, pink socks, and the elastic band that holds her hair up high like a topknot.   

“The Wild Onion” is what her ring name shall be
Because every time I look at that hairdo, I think of the papery brown skin that sticks straight out of the top of those slippery, savory, multi-ringed bulbs

Laying her over the cracker crumb carpet
In teasing undulation, from pinkies to pointers

My fingers wave like sea anemones above her fidgeting frame
They tickle the tummy with its cute, puckered navel

Looking like the bottom of a balloon
Tee-ka, tee-ka, tee-ka!”

I blow
Raspberries and kisses that wrinkle the nose

Choking out chortles, she hides behind knees raised high and pearl string toes
Shielded by socks worn like sleeping bags

Pushing past their heart-shaped grips, I press my lips above her hips
And along the crinkly white diaper line

Until she pulls my hair
Touché, bay-bay

Getting to know this feisty little fighter is more fun than I can say
Shaking my head at her love for the laundry room and how she shrills “hi-ee” when waking up from sleep

She grabs my shoes by the heels in one hand and drops them at my feet
Chirping, “Ba-bye?”  (Always chirping, “Ba-bye?”)

I wear them while I’m cooking, while I’m getting ready for the day
Until it’s finally, really time to go outside and play

She stacks her toys in conspicuous corners, behaving like it’s business
She prefers quick hugs and back pats over long snuggly, cuddly sessions

Arising to her giggling voice is always an adventure
Winking, blinking like my monitor

I get up to go and fetch her
As I watch her diving to and fro, face first into her blankets

I find myself wakefully wondering which hidden traits she’ll show
On this new day how she’ll grow

Talents and treasures untold
How I love watching the layers unfold

From this sweetie full of spice
This dear one in my life

My Wild Onion





Follow Anne Bollman, designer and illustrator, at:
Instagram: @annewashereandthereFollow Me!
Twitter: @AnneWasHere1
Instagram: @annewashereandthere
Etsy: www.etsy.com/shop/AnneWasHere
Society6: www.society6.com/AnneWasHere
Spoonflower: www.spoonflower.com/profiles/AnneWasHereFollow Me!
Twitter: @AnneWasHere1
Instagram: @annewashereandthere
Etsy: www.etsy.com/shop/AnneWasHere
Society6: www.society6.com/AnneWasHere
Spoonflower: www.spoonflower.com/profiles/AnneWasHere
Twitter: @AnneWasHere1
Instagram: @annewashereandthere
Etsy: www.etsy.com/shop/AnneWasHere
Society6: www.society6.com/AnneWasHere
Spoonflower: www.spoonflower.com/profiles/AnneWasHere

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment