Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Cheese-us


Photo courtesy of Lindsay Cournia
While flipping through a popular Christian magazine a few years ago, I came across the results of a contest the magazine had put on in an earlier edition.  The results came in the form of photos—photos of Cheetos.  The crunchy kind.  But these weren’t just any crunchy Cheetos.  The winning images featured Cheetos that were coincidentally shaped in the semblance of…
Anyone?  Anyone?

Jesus.  Yes.  For all of you former Sunday Schoolers out there, the classic Sunday School answer takes the cake in this case.  Although I personally couldn’t make out the Jesus-likeness of the Cheetos in most of the snapshots, even with the erratic variety of twists and knobs on each powdery, neon-orange stub, I could make out a couple that seemed to be sporting some totally righteous beards.  
Say, “Cheese!”  
In spite of being a creative thinker, I oftentimes find myself lacking in the imagination department.  I never was one to find animal shapes in the cauliflower-like contour of cumulous clouds, and whenever my friends would point out giraffes or giant Snoopies inching their way across the bright summer sky like  giant inflatables in Macy’s annual Thanksgiving Day parade, I’d put on my most convincing voice and squint, “Yeah, yeaaah.  I totally see it!”    

Though I was unable to see Jesus in the Cheetos in the same way the winning contestants and the editorial staff at the magazine had, the notion of mixing the Savior of the world with the salty party snack did hold some significance for me because it reminded me of a Jesus one of my former college classmates had described in a scene he’d written for our screenwriting course.   I don’t remember many specifics about his screenplay, but I clearly recall the term “VILLAGE IDIOT” being ascribed to the King of Kings in capitalized courier typeface.  His Jesus was a hapless klutz, tripping over his robes and grinning like a goon as he fumbled and stumbled all over the pages of that mocking manuscript. 
Although I found my classmate’s depiction of Jesus to be distasteful and disturbing, I wasn’t surprised in the slightest because I’d seen that Jesus before.  And I continue to see him to this day, only I don’t call him “Jesus,” because I don’t think he deserves that title.

I call him “Cheese-us,” and I believe he exists well beyond the concluding sentence of that saddening screenplay to distract people from The Real Deal.  I believe our enemy, Satan, would much prefer us to follow and worship this made-up poser than the one tried-and-true Messiah. 
When I think of “cheesy” as an adjective, I associate it with things that are cheap, things that are weak, things that shallow, and things that frankly, are kind of stupid.  Things that attempt to appear genuine on the surface, but wind up feeling like more of a joke than anything in the end.

I realize the term “cheesy” is subjective.  What some may find cheesy, others may find moving and beautiful.  While I might cringe at images of gleeful people worshipping on the ocean shore with their jeans rolled up and arms raised high, the glowing sunset reflecting on their skin like firelight, others may want to mount the scene above their living room mantel.  And while I may want to clunk my head and go, “Jeez!” (or better yet, “Cheese!”) because I find some of the jesting on Christian radio stations dorky and downright gag-worthy, I know there are others out there who spray their morning coffee out of their noses and onto their windshields because they just can’t take those hilarious hosts.  And while I may find myself seriously struggling to use popular Christian expressions like “praise God,” “I feel so blessed,” “you’re such a prayer warrior,” “I pray His hedge of protection around you,” and “the Bible is God’s love letter to you and me,” in a manner that feels genuine, the words roll effortlessly off the tongues of many of my brothers and sisters in Christ. 
Some people like a little cheese when taking in the Bread of Life, and that’s not always a bad thing.  If you’re still reading this, I’m sure it’s become (perhaps painfully) obvious to you that I’m OK with cheesiness at times, particularly when it comes to hamming it up to make a point. 

Did I really just say that? 
If I’m being completely honest, however, saying things like “brothers and sisters in Christ” often feels cheesy in the nose-crinkling way for me.  So do terms like “salvation,” “fellowship,” “personal relationship,” “praise and worship,” “the gospel,” and even (gasp) “Christian.”

“Gospel’s” a big one.  I can’t explain why, but whenever I see or hear the word, I get an immediate mental image of a big, round hunk of cheese with a small triangle cut out of the side, Tom and Jerry style.
It makes me uneasy to experience such intense aversion to words and phrases that used to flow so naturally in and out of my conversations with other Christians.  (Even saying that right there gives me pause.)  It’s hard not to feel like some kind of backslidden rebel, or worse yet, an apostate.

But I know that’s not true. 
Having grown up in the church, I’ve been immersed in Christian culture for so many years that a lot of the vernacular has become a little stale for me.  To avoid the stinky cheese, I find myself groping for terminology that holds the same root meaning, but lacks some of the lingo that the church has claimed and tamed.  Sometimes I succeed at it, but mostly, I find myself still standing there, wracking my brain for the right words long after the interaction has ended.  There are some things that feel almost too deep, too sacred for words. 

This isn’t an issue of me being ashamed of the gospel—it’s being ashamed of words that have been flopped around so flippantly they’ve taken on new meanings altogether.  It’s losing tolerance for all of the fluff that rivals the stuff of my friends’ animal-shaped cumulous clouds.  A lot of people are OK with using these words and are able to do so with utmost sincerity.  I can’t judge them for that.  Personally, though, I’m not a fan of cultured cheese.  It disagrees with my digestion.   
I take the most issue with cheesiness when it makes Christ and His promise of hope come across as chintzy and artificial, silly and untrustworthy—when there’s so much cheese piled up high atop the naked truth, squeezed from a canned gospel, that it threatens to crowd out the truth altogether for those consuming it. 

I guess that’s what you’d call “Cheese-us Christ on a cracker.”
People buy canned cheese because it’s easy and fun, but they rarely take it seriously.   I don’t want a gospel that can’t be taken seriously.  I don’t want one that promotes all the easy stuff, but skips out on the nitty-gritty.  I don’t even want one that softens its edges in the name of being “family-friendly.”  (And if we must add the cheddar, can we at least make it the sharp kind?)

I want a gospel that won’t pass over uncomfortable passages like, “You will be hated by everyone because of Me” (Mt 10:22) and “I did not come to bring peace, but a sword,” (Mt 10:34) and that won’t apologize for being straightforward, but will unwaveringly testify to the truth (Jn 18:37).  I want one that boasts of the depth of the riches of Christ’s wisdom and knowledge (Rom 11:33) and also of the depths of His love (Eph 3:18-19 and Rom 8:38-39).  I want one that boldly proclaims how “the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength” (1 Cor 1:25).  I want one that reminds us that were not redeemed with perishable things, like silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ (1 Pt 1:18-19).
The one I speak of is not shallow, He is not weak or foolish, and He is not cheap.  His name’s not Cheese-us—it’s Jesus.  And I choose Him.

 
All Bible references were taken from the New International Version of the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment